Have you ever tried baking chicken coated in an herbed Greek yogurt mixture?! If the answer is no, then you need to try it this week.
This was my first stab at Greek yogurt-coated chicken, which is a healthier take on chicken recipes that are typically baked with sour cream. Greek yogurt is such a delicious and healthy substitute for sour cream in any recipe really, but especially these baked chicken breasts!
Immediately when you mix the greek yogurt with the spices and seasonings you can already smell how delicious it’s going to be. You can personalize this with your favorite seasonings. I used Mrs. Dash’s original blend, but you could use a lemon-pepper spice or whatever seasoned salt blend you have on hand really. This is a bit spicy, so feel free to adjust the spices based on your preferences, especially the red chili flakes and cayenne pepper.
Now, depending on how you prefer the “consistency” of your chicken you have two options for the baking process. I know that sounds weird, but it’s true. Some people prefer their chicken really moist, other prefer it with a little bit more of a crust.
I baked my chicken wrapped in foil to keep it nice and moist. If you prefer a really moist, juicy chicken breast, then once they’re done cooking you are ready to dig in and enjoy. I prefer my chicken to have a bit more of a crust or slightly firmer texture to them. So once the chicken was cooked through, I removed them all from the foil and popped them under the broiler for about 6 minutes or so until they were nice and browned and had a good crust on the top.
The first night, I served these chicken breasts on their own with a side salad and sweet potatoes. The next day I cut the chicken up and put it in a salad and it was so delicious. You can’t go wrong.
Let me know what you think! And whether you prefer your chicken soft and moist or if you like it to have a bit more texture like me.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite seasoning salt or spice mixture (such as Mrs. Dash, Lemon Pepper Seasoning, Greek Seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, except the chicken.
- Place each chicken breast on a small piece of tinfoil (enough to cover the chicken breast.)
- Coat each chicken breast with the yogurt mixture on both sides.
- Wrap each breast up in a foil packet and bake on a baking sheet for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- If you want more of a crust on top, remove chicken from the foil and return to the oven on a foil-lined baking sheet or casserole dish until browned on top, about 6 minutes.
Hugs, kisses & yummy dishes… xoxo